Remembrance Cards are a way for you to remind yourself of the anniversaries of your deceased loved ones: family, friends, or anyone you particularly respect or want to commemorate.
- A Remembrance Card will appear in the About Today page on the anniversary of its subject’s death. If you have included a short biography, or a photograph in the card, these will be included in the About Today page.
- The name and a short note about the subject will appear in all the other Universalis pages on the anniversary: for instance, “Dom Illtyd Trethowan, philosopher, 1993”. (You can turn this feature off in the Settings screen in Universalis.)
- On Saturdays and Sundays, the About Today page show all the anniversaries which are due to be celebrated in the coming week.
- Optionally, you can make all these anniversaries appear in the Apple calendar on your device. If you want this, you need to turn it on in the Settings screen in Universalis.
Note that for technical reasons Remembrance Cards are only available in the iPhone/iPad version of Universalis. But if you have a Mac then it will be able to display (though not edit) any Remembrance Cards you have created on your iPhone or iPad.
How to set up a Remembrance Card
Tap in the middle of the screen to make the toolbar appear, then tap the circled-I button – ⓘ – on the left-hand side of the toolbar to make the menu appear, then select “Remembrance Cards” from the menu.
Tap on an existing Remembrance Card to edit it, or tap the + sign at the top of the screen to create a new one.
Here is the information you can put into a card. Everything is optional except for the name and the date of death.
- Name – split into prefix, first name, last name, etc.
- Short note – this appears wherever the name is mentioned in Universalis, even in the reminders, so if you put anything, make it something short like “artist” or “philosopher” or “mother”.
- Born – the date of birth, if you know it.
- Died – the date of death. This looks like the usual date picker that Apple use, but there is a refinement. If you don’t know the year when someone side, scroll to the current year and beneath it you will see a year called “----”. Pick that.
- Picture – a photograph which will appear in the Remembrance Card in the About Today page.
- Details – biographical details. You can put a sentence or two, or a whole obituary if you like. Whatever you put in here will appear in the Remembrance Card in the About Today page.